The OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID) is pleased to announce that qualified applicants who have obtained or are on the verge of completing their undergraduate degree and who wish to study for a Master’s degree are welcome to apply for the OFID Scholarship 2017/2018.
OFID scholarships will be awarded to students or candidates for master’s degree studies. Applicants must be from a developing country (except OFID Member Countries), and he/she must first obtain admission to pursue a Master’s degree studies in a relevant field of development, from any recognized university/college in the world.
Through its scholarship scheme, OFID aims to help highly motivated, highly driven individuals overcome one of the biggest challenges to their careers – the cost of graduate studies.
To be eligible to apply for the OFID Masters Scholarship, applicants:
- Must be between the ages of 23-32 at the time of submitting his/her application.
- Must have obtained or be on the verge of completing their undergraduate degree with a Baccalaureate from an accredited college/university, or its equivalent.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 rating system, or its equivalent.
- Must be matriculated at an accredited university for the upcoming academic year starting August/September 2017, and must maintain full-time status for the duration of the Master’s Degree.
- Must be a national of a developing country (except OFID Member Countries)
- Must select a subject of study that pertains to OFID’s core mission, such as economics of development (poverty reduction, energy, and sustainable development), environment (desertification), or other related science and technology fields
- Citizens of ALL developing countries, except OFID Member Countries. Please see the complete list of eligible countries on the official website (link to it is below)
Any accredited educational institution or university/college of higher education (anywhere) in the world
Fields of Study
Mater’s level studies in any relevant field of Development or Energy Studies.
The subject of study must relate to OFID’s core mission, such as economics of development (poverty reduction, energy, and sustainable development), environment (desertification), or other related science and technology fields.
Number of awards
OFID scholarships will be awarded to four students or candidates
The funds will be spread over a maximum of two years, toward the completion of a Master’s degree, or its equivalent
The winners of the OFID Scholarship Award will receive a scholarship of up to US$50,000.
The tuition fees, including any supplementary examination fees, as may be required by the academic institution, will be paid by OFID directly to the academic institution. Health insurance will be paid in accordance with the institution’s own standard medical scheme. A monthly allowance to cover living expenses, books and accommodation, will be transferred to the student’s own personal bank account on a quarterly basis. Benefits also cover relocation grants and travel costs.
For a complete list of all benefits, please see the official site (link to it is below)
Method of Application
Applicants must complete the online application. Within the online application, applicants must upload the required documents as listed on the official website (link to it is below). All materials including the online application, recommendations, and other required information must be received no later than the deadline date below. All materials submitted become the property of OFID and will not be returned to the applicant.
It is important to read through the Application Guidelines and also to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information before proceeding with the application process.
Application deadline is May 1, 2017. All requested support materials must be received no later than this date.
Launched in 2005, the OFID Scholarship Program sponsors outstanding young students from developing countries through graduate studies in a development-related discipline.
Applicants must be from a developing country, and he/she must first obtain admission to pursue a Master’s (graduate) degree, or its equivalent, in any recognized university/college in the world. The Scholarship is open to those students who wish to pursue studies in a relevant field of Development or Energy Studies.
Applicants are responsible for gathering and submitting all necessary information. Applications will be evaluated based on the information provided. Therefore, all questions should be answered as thoroughly as possible. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Once an application has been submitted, no changes will be allowed on it.
OFID will not consider applications received through a third party.
Please do not call or email OFID to see if your application has been received or to inquire about your status. Only the winners will be notified.
Open to International Applicants: Yes (ONLY ‘Eligible groups’)